Where: 1st Walton Sea Scout Group HQ, Scout Hut, Walton on Thames, KT12 2LB Contact: Giles Haggerty Contact Email: email@example.com Open Volunteer Spots: Unlimited
Outline: The Secretary will support the Chair of the Executive Committee to ensure the smooth functioning and sound administration of the Scout Group in accordance with the Policy, Organisation and Rules of The Scout Association.
Responsible to: The Viking Scout Council.
Appointment Requirements: Must successfully complete the appointment process (including acceptable personal enquiries and acceptance of The Scout Association’s policies). It’s expected that whilst volunteering for this role you will undertake regulated activity.
The responsibilities of the Secretary:
- Provide administrative support to the running of the Executive Committee.
- Act as Secretary for the Viking Scout Council.
- Work with the Chair of the Executive Committee to set meeting agendas and arrange meeting logistics for the Executive Committee.
- Taking accurate and accessible minutes of Executive Committee meetings.
- Distributing agendas, minutes and supporting documents for Executive Committee meetings.
- Maintaining accurate records for the administration of the Group; including meeting minutes, census details, ownership of property and equipment, insurance and financial information.
- Ensuring the safety and security of records maintained by the Executive Committee, complying with appropriate legal requirements.
- Communicating with the Executive Committee and Viking Scout Council.
- Support the completion of the Annual Census return.
- Preparing the appropriate administration for the Annual General Meeting, including collating the Annual Report and Accounts for the Annual General Meeting.
General Executive Committee Responsibilities:
- To be a full and active participant in Executive Committee meetings and activities.
- To uphold the responsibilities of an Executive Committee as outlined in The Scout Association’s Policy Organisation and Rules.
- Willingness and eligibility to act as a Charity Trustee for the Group.
- Contribute to the strategic aims and future development of the Group.
Skills for a Secretary:
- Strong organisational skills
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Able to think creatively and solve problems
- Good IT skills
- Ability to summarise information for different audiences
- Willing to speak one’s mind and listen to the views of others.
- Able to maintain independent and objective judgement